Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium (INC)
Special Interest Group of the Peripheral Nerve Society
The Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium (INC) is a Special Interest Group (SIG) of the Peripheral Nerve Society (PNS). Its members are neurologists and other professionals committed to improving and advancing the investigation and treatment of inflammatory neuropathies.
Mission: To improve the care and treatment of patients with inflammatory and immune-mediated neuropathies. This includes Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP), multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN), paraproteinemic demyelinating neuropathies (PDN), vasculitic neuropathies, and many other conditions.
The INC recognizes the need for:
- Better education of health care professionals to enable earlier diagnosis and treatment,
- More research into the pathogenesis of the inflammatory neuropathies,
- More trials of treatment for all forms of inflammatory neuropathy,
- More trials in children with inflammatory neuropathies,
- Improved outcome measures,
- Treatments for symptoms of particular concern to patients, such as fatigue and pain,
- A strategy for prioritizing and undertaking trials of candidate treatments efficiently, and
- Development and revision of inflammatory neuropathy guidelines.
Membership of INC
- To join the INC, you must first join the PNS. There is no additional charge to join the INC. On the PNS online application form select INC from the list of special interest group(s) you wish to join. If you are already a PNS member, log in to your membership profile and update your SIGs to include INC.
- By joining the INC, you will gain access to the leading international network of clinicians and scientists working in inflammatory neuropathy. You will receive emails sent only to INC members about relevant news and updates. You will be eligible to present your work at INC meetings and to stand for INC Board membership. We are planning developments to the INC website accessible only to members.
Investigator-led international research studies supported by the INC network
Active (ongoing or in planning) at June 2020
- IGOS (International GBS Outcome Study). Bart Jacobs (NL) et al. Over 1900 patients have been enrolled. This has been an enormous effort involving 144 centers and 18 countries. https://gbsstudies.erasmusmc.nl/.
- IMAGiNe (IgM anti-MAG paraproteinemic neuropathy: from proper assessment to trial needs). Mariëlle Pruppers, Ingemar Merkies, Karin Faber, Nicolette Notermans (NL). Observational study including registry, biobanking and development of a new Rasch-built patient-reported outcome measure.
- OPTIC trial. OPtimal induction Treatment In CIDP. IVIg+placebo versus IVIg+methylprednisolone. Filip Eftimov (NL) and Mike Lunn (UK).
- INCbase. International registry and biobank for CIDP. Filip Eftimov (NL), Luis Querol (ES).
- Vasculitic neuropathy. Study in development to create a registry and develop a new patient-reported outcome measure. Mike Collins (US), Rob Hadden (UK), Raashid Luqmani (UK).
The PNS has sponsored clinical guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of CIDP, MMN, paraproteinemic demyelinating neuropathy, and non-systemic vasculitic neuropathy. Click here for guidelines.
A new EAN/PNS guideline for GBS (chair Pieter van Doorn, co-chairs Peter Van den Bergh and Robert Hadden), and a revised EAN/PNS guideline for CIDP (chair Peter Van den Bergh, co-chairs Pieter van Doorn and Robert Hadden), are in progress and should both be complete by late 2020. These guidelines are funded by EAN, PNS, GBS/CIDP FI, and GAIN charity UK.